Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A slight lack of new stuff means here's some old stuff.

I decided to finally post this thing I did two years ago for sight & sound film. Sight & sound film is a class that everyone takes at nyu. A semester to make 5 short exercises, all shot and edited on 16mm (flatbed steinbeck, what what). The best part is working in film, a messy and often unrewarding process. Still it has a weird charm.



It definitely has flaws, and plenty of things I would do differently. But my favorite part of sight and sound film was always the disposability of each film--you barely had time to finish one before you were making the next. And editing stuff with a splicer really makes you sure of your cuts, for better or worse. All in all one of my favorite classes ever. Even for a wacky animation student.

The bad part about shooting on 16mm...you can lose your film. Happened to one of my favorites, a 6 minute dream sequence. Lots of milk. Here's a still, one of the few things left from the shoot besides my memories.


That reel is out there somewhere. I offer a reward for its safe return.

3 comments:

Tim Rauch said...

dear god stephen! so this is what they do at "film school"! wish we could watch that dream sequence, i sure would like to know what that man in the bathtub had to smile about...

Tim Rauch said...

ps., i enjoyed it, thanks for sharing.

stephen said...

I'll give you the pitch sometime--I still hope to reshoot it someday.

Dave's last post got me thinking about classes and professors that have inspired me. Leave it to the non-animation class to be one of the most helpful. it's good to get out of my comfort zone, be it school, work, or filling a bathtub with milk jugs.